Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Day 2 of Poetry Project

Today, I begin feeling the need to apologize to you, my personal blog, which has been completely abandoned since I started my blog on education.  Compartmentalizing my life in terms of me and  my passion for learning and teaching was a hard one, but at the same time it was very freeing.  I love my blog on education, http://conversationeducation.wordpress.com/,  (check it out!) because it is a place where I play out my fantasy of being a weekly  columnist: something that I have always wanted to be.  That said it is so great to be back here and just thinking...and being just me, the person.

And so today's poem is from a new children's book of poetry by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater, Forest Has a Song.  You can find it here:  http://www.amylv.com/p/forest-has-song.html.  It is a fabulous collection of poetry, especially to use with kids.  Her poem, invitation, reminds me of one of my all time favorite poems, A New Day.


Invitation
Today
I heard
a pinecone fall.
I smell
a spicy breeze.
I see
Forest
wildly waving
rows of
friendly trees.
I’m here.
Come visit.
Please?
–Amy Ludwig VanDerwater, all rights reserved




A New Day

                      by Tomasen
silence
stillness
the world's eyes opening
squinting
     stretching before
                    my
                        eyes
the sacred yawn of morn
brings a solitude
             of newness
hope, renewal and life

the woods
       my magical forest
with twinkling eyes
                        winking
surrounding me
as we usher in the
day as
one


Funny how reading someone else's poetry can bring you back to your own.  And now I am off to my magical forest to take Ruby Roo for her daily walk.  I wonder what I might see today!!




1 comment:

skanny17 said...

I like your poem and the reflecting-ness feel of how you love your walks in the woods and your time for being alone to think and imagine and dream. Did you see Laura Purdie Salas's blog yesterday with her video reading one of Amy LV's poems from Forest Has a Song? I hope you got a chance to see Amy on TV in Buffalo with her red boots. I think she is a new style icon. If you have not been to the National Poetry Month listing of fantastic activities at the Kidlitosphere, Jama's alphabet soup blog has a big listing of the varies exceptional ideas. Mary Lee Hahn is using Wikimedia commons images and showing her writing process, Laura Shovan at Author Amok has technoverse which is very interesting, My Juicy Universe has commenters offering one word for a progressive poem called 30d30w as in 30 days, 30 words. A spare poem for sure. And then the Progressive Poem at Irene Latham's blog. If you haven't read the one that was created for 2012 it is really quite beautiful. Also Susan Taylor Brown has a different poem as a model each day and 4th grade teacher Melinda Harvey as Thinking in Rhyme where she is doing found poems.
Talk about JOY!!

So many blogs, so little time, I know, but I love it. It feeds my soul.

Janet F. aka Janet Clare on FB

South Beach Martha's Vineyard 2007

South Beach Martha's Vineyard 2007