Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Sunday 2010

Each passing holiday and tradition brings with it a bittersweet sorrow as of late because as the mother of two teenagers the "good ole days" have gone by. Gone are the days of the Easter bunny coming and leaving trails and trails of jellybeans all over the floor and eggs hidden all over the house, some to be discovered a week later only by their persistent smell. Gone are the days of great surprises and that look of sheer childhood joy at the magic of seeing an Easter basket filled with goodies just for them as visions of this big bunny coming in and hopping all over your house. Emma told me a while back she was relieved the Easter bunny was never real because the thought of a life size bunny coming into her house was kinda creepy! And it is if you think about it!!

And although these days are replaced by different days, I find them to be harder days. It seems as though my life has become a series of decisions where no matter what I do there is ultimately someone who is unhappy! I have left the world of magic and possibilities and entered into one of constant negotiation and hormones and quite truthfully it has left me anything but playful! I LOVED all of the things you could do to get those reactions out of those little faces! I love the idea that life is full of wonder and surprise and play.

And as much as I try to maintain that level of playfulness the truth is that it does get the best of me and I find myself saying things that I don't mean to say and doing things that I don't want to do...all in the name of trying to figure out how to keep everyone safe and happy...okay...maybe not happy but at least not miserable!! And while I know that part of being a teenager is going through mood swings and misery the truth is that I just don't LIKE it!!

And so in an effort to keep things playful and full of possibilities I have created a treasure hunt this morning for the kids...who by the way, are STILL in bed!! Again...remember the days when they were jumping on your bed at 6 a.m. all hopped up on chocolate? (Allright...maybe I don't miss that as much!!) And although I have done this I can already "see" the potential for danger!! For at the end of the hunt will be something that will please one more than the other and although I know this I move forward hoping to see at least one smile on each face...if even only for a moment where I can be reminded of the children in them that once held wonder in their eyes...

And yet, tis the season of rebirth so perhaps embracing this next phase is what I need to do. Stop living in the past and embrace the present...yes this I can do...but of course I just needed to first grieve. It is all a part of the process.

Happy Easter Everyone!
Just Thinking....

4 comments:

psm said...

So well said Tomasen! We were just saying how much we miss the egg hunts. So glad you did one. Yes, the teen years are not so much fun. I think I have learned to enjoy the days (moments?) when everyone is happy and life is good. Because when it is not going well, it really sucks to be a parent. It is a series of negotiation and mostly worry on my part! I thought toddlerhood was tough! Who knew? I guess people did tell me that the teen years were not fun but I never guessed it would be this hard. There are just so many challenges out there for them, that is the scary part. Good to know I have company on this difficult journey...stay strong and enjoy the good times!

psm said...

One more thought, (is that bad?) We have 2 really good kids. I don't know what you do if you have troubled or mean teenagers...so I guess it could always be worse.

Unknown said...

Very poignant and an excellent reminder to those of us who are up to our elbows in dirty diapers, whiny 4 year olds, and the "terrible" "NO! I do!" two's that the 'good ole days' of the future our our todays. So of course that tricky bunny managed to take the eggs found during yesterday's egg hunt and redistribute them throughout the backyard (in an attempt to limit the number of 6am chocolate highs) for yet more hunting adventures this am:)

And on a positive note for all those of you headed out of the "wonder" years and into the rebellious ones...as my 9 month old and I took an extra early morning stroll (so as not to wake the older kiddos) we did just manage to pass by a house with two teenagers equipped with their Market Basket plastic shopping bags collecting the many colored eggs amongst the bushes, and climbing trees to retrieve the Easter Baskets. And although their parents (carefully concealed behind the curtains of the living room window) probably did not get a clear glimpse, those teenagers were actually having fun! Yes, they laughed and giggled...because afterall we are all children at heart.....those in the teenage years just manage to conceal it better than most:) Happy Easter!

Tomasen said...

Tracie,
I love this image of the parents hiding and watching!! I remember being where you were...and remember it all does pass with the blink of an eye!!
Have "creeped" on your FB page. What beautiful babies!! You certainly have your hands full!!

pam...the egg hunts were so easy and so much fun!! And my kids are good kids...I hear you on that one! I would have to be committed if they weren't!!

South Beach Martha's Vineyard 2007

South Beach Martha's Vineyard 2007