Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Creating Spaces Inside and Out!

"I woke up this morning with my mind, standing on Freedom."



I woke up this morning with this song in my head and realized I had felt more free than I have in a very long time.  I have been so OVERly focussed on the OUTSIDE,  getting my body into shape, eating right and obsessing over the numbers on the scale that refuse to move that I had been completely ignoring what was stirring INSIDE...these urges of creativity that are so intense that I don't even know what to do with them and I have not made the time for them at all.

I know they are there as I daydream about my upcoming trip to Cuba and the pictures I cannot wait to capture and the words, watercolors and images that I will record in my notebook, but Cuba is still months away and yet I have been ignoring these surges of urges.  That was until yesterday...

Yes.  Yesterday I made my way back to my "art space" that I created last spring.  Yes, I started out with high hopes that with a dedicated space I would take care of my creative self...regardless of what anyone else thought.  But then work started and well...the space was eventually cleaned up and although I have had small spurts of revisiting this space, it was, for most of this year, the piano room.



But then yesterday I said no to exercise and yes to art!  I pulled out all of my collaging materials, mod podge, watercolors, notebooks, paintbrushes and I just started making messes.  And one mess led to another and another.  At one point I was in such a frenzy that I was collaging with one hand and sprinkling salt on my watercolor with another.   And as much as the gardens were calling to me and the dog lovingly pleaded for her daily walk I said NO to the rest of it and let the day be devoted to messy creating, experimentation,  and ideas for projects abound.
The Notebook I collages yesterday.


Zach's workbench
Emma's handmade teapot and Laura's artwork keep me company!
Shared Space with Zach's Boards!


I had to tear myself away from this space to go to Zach's lacrosse game but not until I grabbed my camera, complete with a new kick ass zoom lens that I got for my birthday and I was off.


Zach right after he scored!!
I arrived to see all of the friendly parents up in the bleachers, but I stopped and stood by the field and was content in my aloneness to just play with the camera and this new lens.  What a joy it was taking pictures and actually being able to get so close to Zach on the field I could see his facial expressions.  The need to feed the creative beast inside was no way near done!

Zach # 17

So then I woke up this morning brimming with projects, ideas and everyone I read or heard from this morning on line gave me a new idea.  There are so many that I can't even begin to process so I decided I would start here...where I was inspired by my dear artist friend, Laura, and her images that she posted on Facebook this morning of her studio.  And then it dawned on me.  She was artistically capturing her artistry and that was something I wanted to do.

So here is my newly revisited "art space" that I have been creating.  It is heavenly with an old piano for a workbench, natural light and a shared space with my son Zachary where he "does" his artwork on longboards.  The piano bench is is work bench and his boards are lovingly displayed as well.

So enough with the words and on with the images.   I mean you get the picture...right?





1 comment:

Laura said...

Hello my dear, sweet friend!
I saw this yesterday in my Facebook feed but knew I didn't have the time to sit and relish it until today and it is important for me to be present to your words and in this case words and images. You are an inspiration and the best start of my day!

It is SO fun to see your studio with all it's creativity and play. Sometimes we just need to start somewhere and everything else falls into place.

I also love how you took your camera out with you and deliberately sat on the side lines, alone with your thoughts and the artistic lens of your camera. As much as I am inspired by looking at artwork, books, conversations with friends and whatnot, I know for sure that for my "muses" to show up I need to be alone for this. I am excited to hear that you made this time for yourself and I will always want to know what you are up to. Sending creativity & love your way, ALWAYS!
xoLaura

"You can't use up creativity, the more you use, them more you have" ~May Angelou

South Beach Martha's Vineyard 2007

South Beach Martha's Vineyard 2007