Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Just a little bit guilty...

I am feeling just a little bit guilty to be so warm and safe and sound within my house. But what adds to that feeling is that there are so many people without power and yet there are those who continue to light up their ostentatious displays of Christmas lights. Can you feel the irony here? I mean, I am all for Christmas lights. I sit and look at my tree beautifully adorned in Christmas lights...but perhaps in light (ha ha ha) of what has happened to us here in the northeast that this is the year to say no to outside lights. The lights that seem to laugh in the face of all of those who drive by and still do not have power. As they drive by the flashing colors and waving Santa's...just a reminder of all that they don't have...ahhh light to read by, eat by and live by, a source of heat just the basic needs like running water.
I don't know. Maybe it doesn't matter to these people, but at least for me...this will be the year that you will not see any lights outside of my house. It just feels wrong and well...anyone who knows me...that if I feel something then that is that. And if you are reading this and are in need of a hot shower...come on by. There is plenty to share!
But that is the problem as well...because if you need a shower then you cannot be reading this and as much as I have tried to reach out and find people...it is hard to get in touch with them or to even know if they have power or not.
I tried Christmas shopping yesterday and well...there was absolutely NO thrill in it. Again, it seems frivolous to be out there pounding the pavement for gifts when there are so many freezing their butts off! And it is much colder today.
Just thinking.....

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh, the people who don't have power definitely DO NOT appreciate driving by houses with tons of Christmas lights. Believe me, I've heard.

And I have to agree. Peter was also talking about one of his clients where the generator at their second home is running. They aren't there -- but the generator automatically goes on when the power goes out.

Can you say decadence? They live in Florida over the winter, but clearly the pipes are too much trouble to drain so they can SAVE POWER over the winter.

I can't stand it.

South Beach Martha's Vineyard 2007

South Beach Martha's Vineyard 2007